Żejtun Local Council
Public place can be seen at any time.
0.050 km away
Misraħ Gregorio Bonici
The Cross (Is-Salib)
On a high stone pedestal, sits a monumental wooden cross, an impressive testimony to the courage of the men of Żejtun. The French, under Napoleon, occupied Malta in 1798. Only three months later, the Maltese revolted against them and forced the French garrison to take shelter behind the massive fortifications of Valletta and Cottonera.
In one of the attacks on the enemy entrenched in Fort St. Saviour, the people of Żejtun, after killing the few French soldiers they found in Villa Bighi, managed to snatch from under the French, this large wooden cross that stood in the front parvis of the abandoned Capuchin Friary at Kalkara. They set up this war trophy in their main square as a fitting monument to serve as a reminder for future generations.